The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the worlds largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of the role:
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Product Manager to drive the roadmap for Remote Development and the Web IDE at GitLab. This team owns some of the newest capabilities in the GitLab platform and is responsible for leading the way in streamlining how developers work on a daily basis.
The IDE group is responsible for maturing the newly GA Remote Development Workspaces and expanding the capabilities of the Web IDE, our browser-based editor that allows development to happen without any locally configured software. You will collaborate closely with peer teams Code Review, Source Code, and Editor Extensions. This functionality within GitLab also includes capabilities such as workspace configuration and deployment, integration with the GitLab Agent for Kubernetes, the third-party extension marketplace in the Web IDE, Web IDE code search, Web IDE MR creation, and many others. These areas of the product are focused on making it easy and intuitive to start developing without relying on locally installed and configured software, ensuring that developers can work in a secure, efficient, and compliant way.
Youll lead cross-functionally with other GitLab stages to ensure our teams can drive our core differentiators. Youll enable GitLab to lead from a position of product maturity while contributing to the strategic direction of the IDE and Remote Development capabilities, maintaining our lead and enabling our customers to ship software, faster.
What youll do
- Drive the product direction
- You will define a product roadmap and public direction pages for where the product will go in the next 12-24 months.
- You will work closely with internal development, technical field, marketing, and other product teams to continue to mature Remote Development and the Web IDE.
- You will make decisions that consider the overall ROI to GitLab as a business.
- You will become an expert on GitLab as a platform. GitLab is a broad product and youll understand how what you work on fits with everything else in the platform.
- Manage the product life cycle
- You will work closely with your counterparts to define monthly product releases.
- You will prioritize what the group works on in terms of features and which ones come next.
- You will ensure that we translate user demands to features that make them happy, but keep the product UI clean and the codebase maintainable
- Become an expert on your target users and their problems
- You will regularly engage with users and talk to them to understand what their goals are, where they struggle, and what problems they care most about.
- You will create compelling demos of your product in action and contextualize the problems you are solving.
- You will teach others internally how to position the product, describe the value it provides to target users, and work with initial customers as they get onboarded.
- You will be willing to keep up with the maturing DevSecOps market, finding ways to collaborate well beyond the scope of the IDE group.
Additional core responsibilities of GitLab Product Managers.
What youll bring
- Prior experience working with Kubernetes (k8s), cloud native infrastructure, and developer tooling
- Experience managing stakeholders, including internally-facing product teams, senior executives, field sales teams, and customers
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional team in a large Product organization
- High-level technical understanding of how teams manage their infrastructure at scale
- Experience using developer tooling, especially DevSecOps or IaC platforms
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work cross-functionally
- Experience building features within enterprise SaaS and Self-hosted software platforms
- Bonus point: Infrastructure as Code (IaC) experience
- Bonus point: VS Code or other IDE experience
About the team
The GitLab IDE (Integrated Development Environment) team is a dynamic group dedicated to creating a cutting-edge development environment that empowers developers worldwide. This team strives to provide a seamless and collaborative coding experience within the GitLab ecosystem. They focus on developing features and functionalities that streamline the software development process, making it more efficient and enjoyable for developers.
One of the challenges the team is actively tackling is creating a remote development experience that addresses diverse infrastructure and developer needs. This involves not only improving existing features but also innovating to address emerging trends and technologies in the development world. Additionally, they aim to ensure that the Web IDE remains user-friendly while providing advanced tools and integrations for developers. To delve deeper into their strategies and approaches, you can refer to the Create Stage Handbook.
In summary, the GitLab IDE team is on a mission to redefine the developer experience, and their commitment to open-source collaboration and innovation makes them an exciting and vital part of GitLab’s engineering efforts. Please visit our team page or the direction page for either Web IDE or Remote Development for more information.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
The base salary range for this roles listed level is currently for residents of listed locations only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Colorado/Washington pay range
California/New York/New Jersey pay range
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLabs policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLabs EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.